Thursday, June 22, 2006

June 20, 2006

“Every Problem Becomes a Blessing
When I Know the LORD is Mine.”

As we walked back to our house, some local children ran from their farms to walk with the white lady. I was the first white person they have ever seen. The children are excited and rather frightened of me. As we walked along the rocky road together, we began trading songs back and forth. They would sing a simple Kikuyu song, which I would try to imitate and then I would sing a song in English. The last song they were teaching us was actually in English. It is a simple song, repeating two lines. “Every problem becomes a Blessing, When I Know the LORD is Mine. Thank You, Jesus. Thank You, Jesus. When I know the LORD is Mine” As the children were singing with great gusto these lines, I couldn’t help but notice that all but one was barefoot. Their clothing was little more than rags and hadn’t bathed in a while. Yet, they were singing a song, with words so simple that every problem (no food, shoes, clothes or bathing) becomes a blessing when I know the LORD is Mine.

Every Problem??? Lord, are you sure? Here I am: I have attended and worked at a strong Bible church for years, I have had the privilege of attending seminary, and I have my own Bible that I love to read and study (many people don’t have their own copy of the Bible) and yet… do I truly believe that EVERY problem becomes a blessing? 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says “give thanks in all things, for this is the will of God concerning you.” If I am honest, there are many things that happen that my first response is not to think that this is a blessing from God, let alone giving thanks for it. For example, I was called to speak at a rally on Sunday (with NO notice to 700+ High School girls). My first response was more along the lines of uncertainty and lack of desire rather than thanking the Lord for this ‘problem’. Pastor Jerry used to say, “You have to be ready to preach, pray or be martyred on a moment’s notice.” Well, I am now learning to see all of the no-notice speaking ‘problems’ as opportunities/blessings to share the gospel (and there seem to be PLEANTY of them). So that is one problem where my attitude is being changed to see it as a blessing, but... How about the problem of not being clean? Or the problem of not knowing the language? Or the problem of feeling lonely, missing my family and friends? Or the problem on bugs? Ok, the last one reminds me of Corrie Ten Boom:-)!!

Oh, May I become a woman of great faith, who can recognize immediately that every problem becomes a blessing when I know the Lord is mine!!

As I write this note, I would appreciate prayer for a heart of thankfulness, quick to praise the Lord for EVERY situation I encounter!

In His service!
Tami

PS-a note on the bugs...the mosquitoes are growing in size everyday (number and physically). Yesterday I found myself praying that God would remove them when I used the pit toilet. It was as if the Lord parted the red sea of mosquitoes in front of me. Immediately they went to the walls and it was as if they were stuck there. The simple answers to prayer have given me such GREAT amusement. It is fun to know that God cares if I have to deal with mosquitoes at the pit!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger arpiro said...

Hey,
Just checkin up on you :) Sounds like you're having the experience of a lifetime. I enjoy reading about your life in Africa. God Bless!
~Amanda
PS I miss you!

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home