Wednesday, June 28, 2006

June 27, 2006

…And I thought it rained a lot in Washington! Perhaps it is the tin roof, or the lack of heat, or maybe it’s because we are outside a lot, but the rain here seems VERY hard and cold. When it looks like it is going to rain, we wear Gum Boots (galoshes for adults). I love wearing mine. I feel like a little kid running through the mud and puddles. This is an essential wardrobe piece to have when you are in the North Kinagop region in Kenya. Although Naivasha (closest city) is not far away it has very different weather. When we are having rain, there is no trace of it there (or anywhere else in Kenya for that matter). It is strange to see such an extreme climate change over such a short distance. Today was some of the hardest rain we’ve experienced yet.

This morning I woke up with a cold. The heavy rains turned into a blessing because that forced us to stay at the house and work here all day. It was nice to have a day off and a bit more rest, particularly since I’m not feeling the best. The chore around the house for the day was washing… washing everything (clothes, shoes, floors, seat covers, pots, pans, etc…). With the warm water, it was nice to wash, it helped take away some of the cold-to-the-bone feeling. Not to mention that washing everything took the whole day to accomplish.

Yesterday, I received a batch of mail. So, when I wrote before about it taking 10 days for mail to get to me was wrong. It’s closer to 20! The reason is because there is no way to get mail to me unless someone picks it up in Nairobi and brings it out or I go to Nairobi and pick it up. It was so encouraging to receive notes from home. With very little to do for entertainment, I have read and re-read the letters. In fact, I’m reading the last book I brought (Confession by St. Augustine) and even have found some time to try painting with watercolors. Days here are structured very differently. I am usually in bed reading by 9pm and there is always time in the morning between chores as we are waiting for another pot of water to heat up to enjoy other activities (i.e. painting) or simply play with some of the local children.

Last week we had a bit of a scare. Nighttime is when all the bad people and animals are out prowling, looking for food or mischief. By in large, our area is safe, however last week we were invaded by elephants, wanting to eat the cabbages and potatoes. When this happens, everyone runs out of their houses carrying anything that will make noise (i.e. pots & pans) and they begin banging it all together to scare off the elephants. Everyone comes together to help. Unfortunately, I slept through the whole thing (which everyone thinks is very funny and weird), so I do not have any photos to share. So if it happens again, I’ve asked to be woken up so I can help scare off the elephants (and take pictures). The other news from our farm is that a lamb was born yesterday. This is a big blessing for the family. Not only does it add to the number of sheep, but also it symbolizes future revenue.

In terms of ministry, the Jr Youth (3rd-8th graders) that I teach on Sunday mornings are great kids. They have a genuine heart for the Lord. However, none of them have their own Bibles. Actually, it is normal for a family to perhaps have one Bible that they all share. On Sunday morning, I purposed a challenge to the Youth. If they would memorize Col 3:1-17, they would be given a Bible at the end of the summer. Most of the children at Tumaini (a local orphanage, run by a man who sounds exactly like James Earl Jones) have already started. When I was at Tumaini yesterday, they were reciting what they have already memorized. At the most it will take them two or three weeks to have the passage committed to memory. Their desire to have their own Bible humbles me. I take for granted that I have a Bible that I can read at any time.

Hope this last week in June is going well for all of you and that you are feeling the presence of the Lord in all your work!

In His Love,
Tami

3 Comments:

Blogger arpiro said...

Hey,
Sounds amazing. I want to be raided by elephants, that would be awesome. Maybe not, but come on it sounds good. I definitely laughed out loud when I read that you slept through it. I can totally see that. Hope your watercoloring goes well, quite the aspiring artist we've got here. Well I miss you and I hope the rest of your trip goes well. HAVE FUN!
Love Always,
Amanda
P.S. I got out my Bible and started reading it after I saw your little piece about the kids. Humbling for sure. You're always good for giving me things that humble me.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Steve Allen said...

Tami Dale,
Thank you for your inspiring words. Stephanie and i are SO glad to have been tipped off about your blog through Summer. This will now be a part of our daily checking on the web. Your words are important, however, plain and simple that they seem to you... Keep writing and keep inspiring... We miss you lots!
God bless,
Steve

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jenny Jack said...

Tami...so good to hear your heart! This is such an incredible time you are walking through!
JJ

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home