Thursday, July 13, 2006

God's Abundant Blessings!

July 13, 2006 b

This evening (mid-day for you) I find myself in Nairobi at the SIM compound. An opportunity opened up on Tuesday for me to join a group of SIM lady missionaries in Mombassa (a coastal city in Kenya) for the weekend. We will leave tomorrow night and take the night bus (8-10hrs). We will take time to rest, journal, read, reflect and swim with the dolphins… yes, I did say swim with the dolphins! This is one activity I have always wanted to do and God is providing a surprise opportunity!! Not only is it a blessing to be going to a beautiful coastal city, but it is also a WARM (90 degree) coastal city. I am looking forward to thawing out! It is also a blessing because, I love reading the Word and journaling in the warmth of the sun and that is something that is hard to find even in Nairobi (it’s the coldest/rainiest month of the year right now).

For the last two days, I wrestled with whether or not to go to Mombassa. It would mean taking two days off of ministry. Two days to not visit those dying from AIDS, two days not to play with the orphans, two days not to teach about God to the youth… two days… I found myself wrestling with feelings of guilt, feeling like why should I take this time to rest somewhere so nice? Yet, I need rest. Since arriving in Kenya, I’ve had three days off. A little over a week ago I began to realize how much I needed time to seek the face of the Lord. Not the daily time of seeking Him, but the ‘come away with me’ and bask in my presence type of time with the Lord. As I was hungry for the time with the Lord, I didn’t know how it was going to happen. Then I receive a message on Tuesday asking if I would join the group. God provides even the rest I need.

Recent Praises:
1. Time to Rest
2. Mombassa Trip- I get to be in warm weather and swim with dolphins!
3. Words to Speak-everywhere I’ve been required to speak, God has given me words to say, especially this week with our neighbor’s memorial services.
4. Very few bugs (even mosquitoes)!!! Between the few heavy frosts and consistent temperatures just around freezing at the nighttime, these have taken care of our insect population.

Specific Prayer requests:
1. Solid rest in the Lord. It is easy to be distracted from truly seeking the face of God in times of rest.
2. Good fellowship with fellow missionaries.
3. Safety. I am learning the times my life seems to be most at risk is any time I enter a vehicle. The majority of drivers here are relatively inexperienced and even if they do have good experience and skill, most likely the ones around them don’t. Please pray for safety when traveling, not simply to Mombassa, but for any time I get into a vehicle.


Thank you so much for your prayers! I cannot express how much it means to me to know you are going to God on my behalf. Two weeks ago, I wrote all the names of those that have stated they are praying for me in the back page of my journal. It was a time when I needed encouragement and the Lord provided by looking at all of your names. I am so fortunate to be supported, cared for and prayed for by each of you. Thank You!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home