Friday, July 21, 2006

3-in-1

ONE~ Mombassa
It was great to travel to the warm coast of Kenya for the weekend. We spent the weekend south of Mombassa in the town of Diani. It is a small coastal city and it is paradise. White sandy beaches, very few people and good food. Now the only problem is that I had a fever (39.8 c) the majority of the time we were there. Even though I had a fever, it was a blessing to be in such a warm place. I cannot imagine what this would have been like if I was still up country in the below freezing temperatures and no way to heat the house and have a fever. It was a true gift to be in such a beautiful and warm place.

Last week I reported we had the opportunity to fulfill my childhood dream of swimming with dolphins. Well, it still is my dream. The day we were out on the boat there was a storm on the Indian Ocean, so it was unsafe for us to get into the water with the dolphins. However, it was impressive to be so close to the wild dolphins. As a 2nd place prize we were able to snorkel at a reef that is in the middle of the ocean. It was beautiful!!!


TWO~ Week of rest & reflection & doctor’s visits…
After coming back to Nairobi, I had some stomach problems. So I can now personally testify about the Kenyan medicine. Fortunately they use western drugs, so I am feeling better now. Having a few days where I had to stay very immobile was a mixed blessing.
It provided the time to be still before the Lord and for that I am grateful. This summer is going by very fast and I want to make the most of every opportunity provided. There are many items/topics this week provided time to reflect on, they are to numerous to mention here but thank you for praying. I do feel refreshed. I am ready to head back up-country for the next 5 weeks, in large part due to the restfulness of the past few days.


THREE~ Mission trip to Northern Kenya
August 6th-11th, I will be heading to Marissabit (northern tribal area in Kenya) as a part of a mission trip to an un-reached tribe with members of the church that I am working with. The church’s passion for those who have yet to hear the gospel in Kenya is humbling. There will be a group of us traveling for two days to reach these people. We will be bringing food supplies (the effects of the drought are still present for them) and some medical supplies. The week long out reach will be preaching the gospel, treating simple medical ailments and feedings. This is an incredible opportunity to minister alongside Kenyans as they bring the Gospel to their own countrymen who have never heard of Jesus. As the Lord lays it on your heart, please pray for this mission trip (safety, hearts of the people we are going to reach, and for our own hearts-that God would use this in mighty ways).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home